Submissions are now closed for Truancy, which will be on indefinite hiatus after Truancy 10. Thank You for your support.
- Truancy is a semipro market for revised folktales, legends, myth and other traditional narratives that have been made new by your retelling or your original fiction that has these folkloric elements or mythic elements.
- In your submission, explain the elements and resonances from traditional narratives (folklore, myths, legends) that exist within your tales, or explain how you’ve made something new from these tales.
- It’s advisable to read previous issues of Truancy.
- Truancy prioritizes voice and narrative verve in our selections, but a coherent plot is also important. If your style of revision is classical and mythic, you are most welcome to send your works. While we adore modern and innovative narratives we feel there are not enough markets that give room for classical styles of writing (from any culture) and this always excites us to read. If you have the natural folkloric cadence of storytellers from anywhere around the world, this is the market for you.
- We use a standard SFWA boilerplate contract with some regional-specific modifications.
- Payment can be done through Paypal or Transferwise for international people, and banking in is an option for Malaysians only.
- Original Fiction: We will be looking for works between 1000-3000 words. The rate will be 2 cents (USD) per word.
- Poetry: Send your poetry (up to 5 poems) reimagining folktales, folklore, myths and legends. I’ll pay USD15 per poem.
Additionally, we will now be soliciting only for short fiction reprints (USD25 per reprint) and for art reprints (USD60 per reprint).
Policies and Restrictions
- Do not send us works that are derogatory towards any race, culture, gender, sexual orientation or forms of disability.
- This venue has always prioritized diverse and marginalized voices and this will not change. However, we will buy from a wide range of voices across cultures and the gender/social spectrum so don’t self-reject, you may have that story that leaps out at me!
- No simultaneous or multiple submissions, please. Wait until we’ve rejected a story or poem before you send us another!
- All fiction and poetry should use William Shunn’s Standard Manuscript Formatting.
- If you have a date that is bad for you (a birthday, anniversary of a traumatic event, public holiday etc) re rejections, please drop a short note and we’ll schedule rejections on an appropriate date. We won’t be sending rejections on weekends.
- As this is a non-profit magazine and has a budget, we’ll be paying people in batches throughout the year.
- Please no characters below the age of 18 within predatory/sexual situations in your fiction.
- Avoid sending fiction with non-consensual situations. We’re really sick of stories that use rape/sexual coercion/entrapment as a plot device.
Email and Formatting Guidelines: There are now two Editors for Truancy . You may address us as Dear Editors, or Dear Nin and Eileen.
- Original Fiction email subject: [FICTION] “Title of Story Here”.
- Original Poetry email subject: [POETRY] “Title of Poem Here”